Thursday, April 18, 2013

THRIVE Omelet made two ways

Okay today I set out to test the egg products put out by THRIVE. I have a simple recipe for boiled omelets. I was thinking how easy it would be to make the omelets ahead of time in little bags, just add water, and cook while camping. When my kids were younger they loved to make these. Now my husband finds them easy if he wants a quick omelet while getting ready for work.


Whole Egg Powder Omelet:
1/4 cup THRIVE Whole Egg Powder
2 Tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup of water

Heat a medium sized pot half full of water to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer.
In the mean time combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour into a pint sized zip lock back. Seal bag, put bag in simmering water. Cook for 15 minutes.
*As you can see this one the cheese tended to sit towards the bottom of the bag and the herbs tended to float towards the top. The texture was nice and light. I thought it was pretty good.

Scrambled Egg Mix Omelet:
1/4 cup THRIVE Scrambled Egg Mix
2 Tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
6 Tablespoons water

Heat a medium sized pot half full of water to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer.
In the mean time combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour into a pint sized zip lock back. Seal bag, put bag in simmering water. Cook for 10 minutes.

* As you can see this is a much nicer omelet. My ingredients were incorporated better and the taste was excellent. You would not know this was not a fresh egg by the taste or texture.

Two points I want to make. First off the Scrambled Egg mix is the better product for eating. Although I have used the Whole Egg Product in all my baking and it is very easy and convenient, however I prefer the Scrambled for the taste. Next if you are going to store eggs, and can only do one kind I suggest you use the Scrambled Egg Mix and use it for your baking as well.

There is a price difference in the two egg mixes.
Scrambled Egg Mix, #10 Can which is 2.5 lbs and has 107 servings is $42.19
Whole Egg Powder, #10 Can which is 2.38 lbs and has 216 servings is $22.69

Next time I will try the FD Cheddar Cheese and see how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment