Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Search for Paleo Bread


Intrigued by Paleo bread I wanted to try some. I found one company, Julian Bakery,  that makes it and was able to purchase it frozen at Mountain Mama's here in Colorado Springs. However it was very expensive. I believe I paid between $8.00 and $9.00 per loaf! These are small loaves!  Well, I went home and defrosted them, anxious to give them a sample, and see just how wonderful they were. After all the ingredients looked nice. I knew what everything was on the ingredient list. A nice bonus when you want to steer clear of strange additives. Well I have to tell you it was disappointing to sample those loaves. They were very, flat. Not much flavor at all!  Sure they had low calorie, especially considering the nut flour used in them. So, I did some research and found that the Psyllium Seed Powder is their main ingredient. This name should be familiar to you because it is the main ingredient in any fiber drink for when you need to be more regular. Not that it's bad or even unhealthy, but in this case it is more of a filler and added fiber for pretty low cost.  Like I said there are plenty of people out there that obviously like this bread. I just wanted something more flavorful, and  less expensive.

I perused books, and web sites looking for some good recipes to try. I tried a few. This one I am posting here is my favorite. I only changed it a little bit from the original and it comes out good every time. The original is from Guilty Kitchen. This is a very nicely flavored loaf. You can cut it thin and use it as a sandwich bread. I hope you enjoy it.

Paleo Sandwich Bread
Makes 1 small loaf (10 slices)

Ingredients
3/4 cup organic raw almond butter (I used whole foods, where you grind your own)
6 range free eggs
2 tablespoons local honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup golden flax meal
1/4 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 4 x 8" loaf pan and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl blend the almond butter, eggs, honey and melted coconut oil. You want this mixed well.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and blend.
4. Pour into greased pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Loosen edge of pan and remove. Let cool completely, or eat warm.
6. Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It will last about 10 days.

High Altitude: 375F 40 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment